This artwork was inspired and made from scraps from my Whitehorse Rapids quilt.
The salmon were sketched from a selection of images I found online.
I used some beautiful fabrics bought at Bear’s Paw Quilts for each section of the coho salmon.
The salmon were topstitched with silver thread to give the illusion on scales.
The back of the quilt is just as beautiful – with only the stitching showing through.
This wall-hanging was made as a Christmas gift to my Uncle Al – who has worked among salmon for many, many years.
I am very happy with the final product.
Here is a picture of a coho salmon for comparison:
This is a table runner I made for my Aunty Wendy.
The debrief was to make anything with vibrant green. The colours I chose were a little crazy, but somehow it works.
The table runner measures 16″ (40cm) x 43″ (110cm).
This is the first project I started and finished in a day, taking about 5 hours in total. I made this quilt following the same pattern as I used in the first quilt I ever made. It was surreal going through the same processes with much more confidence and foresight. I’m sure this pattern will resurface again.
My first big quilt was made for my Mother-in-law, Leanne.
I made this quilt in a class I took at Bear’s Paw Quilts here in Whitehorse.
It was made by piecing together strips of fabric and cutting and assembling three rectangular shapes.
It measures 63″ (160cm) x 83″ (210cm).
I had it quilted in a pattern that mimicked the design of the backing fabric.
The most challenging part of the process was deciding the colours of the borders, binding and backing.
The most rewarding part was seeing it come to life in the final stages of the construction, and of course passing it on to its true owner.
I hope you can enjoy it for many years to come, Leanne.
This quilt was based on the ‘Bryson’ pattern by Barbara Jones. The original pattern had one huge bison front and centre.
I made this quilt during a class at Bears’ Paw Quilts in Whitehorse in December 2013 as a Christmas gift for Mum and Dad.
As this is my first official art quilt, I experimented with a variety of stitches – all done by machine.
I found a tiny image of an eagle on Pinterest and made it in fabric to applique into the sky. The clouds are lined in silver stitching.
The main top stitching I did was thick free-stitched hair on the bisons’ back and heads. I love that the distant mountains look so similar to the mountains surrounding me here in Whitehorse.
Mum loved the quilt, making the whole experience a complete success!